Volume 7 Issue 8 (August, 2019)

Original Articles

Evaluation of outcome of patients with intertrochanteric fractures treated with proximal femoral nail- An observational study
Vinay Kumar

Introduction: Hip fracture contributes to both morbidity and mortality in the elderly. The demographics of world populations are set to change, with more elderly living in developing countries.The dynamic hip screw, commonly used in extramedullary fixation, has become a standard implant in treatment of these fractures. Proximal femoral nail (PFN) and Gamma nail are 2 commonly used devices in the intramedullary fixation. Previous studies showed that the Gamma nail did not perform as well as DHS because it led to a relatively higher incidence of post-operative femoral shaft fracture.Hence; the present study was undertaken for assessing the outcome of patients with intertrochanteric fractures treated with PFN. Materials & methods: A total of 25 intertrochanteric fractures were included in the present study. All the patients were treated with PFN. A detailed questionnaire was duly completed for each case. Till the day of surgery, patient was kept on skeletal/skin traction. Pre-operative antibiotics were given to the patients. Pre-operative planning was done to decide the type and length of implant to be used. The choice of anaesthesia was general or regional. Clinico-radiological assessment of the patient was done.  All the results were analysed by SPSS software. Results: In 92 percent of the patients, complete union was observed on radiological assessment after 18 weeks, whereas in the remaining 8 percent of the patients, no union was observed. Postoperative complications were present only in one patient, in the form of Z- effect at one month (Non- union). Conclusion: PFN appears to be an effective line of treatment for treating patients with intertrochanteric fractures.
Key words: Proximal femoral nail, Treatment

Received: 15 April, 2019                            Revised:  25 July 2019                              Accepted: 26 July 2019

Corresponding Author: Dr. Vinay Kumar, Department Of Orthopaedics, Rajshree Medical Research Institute, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, India

This article may be cited as: Kumar V. Evaluation of outcome of patients with intertrochanteric fractures treated with proximal femoral nail: An observational study. J Adv Med Dent Scie Res 2019;7(8): 118-121.

Abstract View | Download PDF | Current Issue

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.